The 4th of July is probably not your favorite pets holiday. In our house, it sends Magee our kitty hiding and Teddy our anxiety-ridden dog into a tailspin of fighting and barking at the air around him.
Dog and cats hearing is much more sensitive than ours. Therefore all the noises associated with the holiday are so much more intense for them. Neither of them understands what is going on so we have two very scared pets on our hands reacting in very different manners yet the calming technique tips are similar.
1. Make sure your pet gets plenty of exercise earlier in the day.
2. Always keep your pets inside during fireworks and make sure they have their collars on just in case they run out. Close all of the windows in house. The busiest time of year for pets being found wandering loose is the 4th of July.
3. Create a safe room or area in your house that they usually go when sacred.
4. Play calming music; this is most effective when you play the music well before the fireworks start so that your dog or cat already feel peaceful and relaxed.
5. Remain Calm; our pets pick up on our emotions, and especially when we are feeling anxious. You can be loving and reassure your pet but be careful how you do so. While we so want to hold them and tell them it is ok, in our pets mind that is rewarding and reinforcing their fearful behavior; in their minds, you are saying its ok to be afraid. When my dog gets anxiety, I tell him, “no worries”, and I do not hold or hug him while doing so. I say this calmly and softly. He hears no but in a different way.
6. If your pet gets so frightened that you are worried for there safety, you may need to seek professional help and have some anti-anxiety medication prescribed by your veterinarian.
Meet Siman and his Mom. His Dad sent me this picture. About a year ago Siman's Dad (who is a friend of mine) told me he was going somewhere to buy a dog because he wanted a certain breed of dog. I, of course, begged him to check his area shelters and rescue-foster groups, they have purebreds too and told him I would help him if he agreed to adopt. He agreed and found Siman at there local shelter. According to Siman’s Mom and Dad, he is the sweetest, most loving and funny dog they have ever had. Before Siman, they had always gone to breeders for there dogs. Most rescue dogs and cats are so happy to finally have a loving forever home that they will love you so much more. Look at this picture, you can tell how close they have become. I am so glad I bugged Frank, Siman's Dad to adopt and not shop....I just LOVE IT!
It was great to meet so many cat lovers like us at Jackson Galaxy's Cat Camp NYC 2018! MyLap Pet Bed had a fantastic weekend at Cat Camp. Grateful to have meet some wonderful people and learned a lot at our first expo! Ingrid King, The Conscious Cat, @littleman_mika, Polydactyl, Lola The Rescued Cat, Weruva, PET AGE, Kitten Lady, Litter Genie.
Meeting @littleman_mika (The DiPaolo Cats) was an honor; they are doing such great things for special needs cats. You have to check them out on Instagram. We are over the moon that they liked our beds and overwhelmed with the response. After they posted the pictures of all of the special needs cats on the beds are website went nuts, and the images got over 7k in links in one day!
We have Pet Age magazine (July issue) and a few bloggers (this month) writing about our unique bed. We will keep everyone up to date on social media and through our newsletter when the articles posted.
CHECK OUT OUR FIRST BLOG ON mYlAP pET bED